EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit application

EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit application

An EEA family permit application is similar to entry clearance and allows non-EEA nationals to enter and leave the UK without restrictions for 6 months for the purpose of joining EEA family members in the UK.

A non-EEA family member of an EEA national must apply outside the UK for an EEA Family Permit to join their EEA family member in the UK. There is no application fee.

You can apply for an EEA family permit to come to the UK if both the following apply:

  • you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA)
  • you’re a ‘close’ or ‘extended’ family member of an EEA or Swiss national (excluding UK nationals)

The EEA citizen you’re joining must either:

  • be in the UK already
  • be travelling with you to the UK within 6 months of the date of your application

If they’ve been in the UK for more than 3 months they must either:

  • be a ‘qualified person’ (working, looking for work, self-employed, studying or self-sufficient)
  • have or be eligible for a permanent residence document - sometimes called a ‘document certifying permanent residence’

Qualifying as a ‘close’ family member.

You must be the EEA citizen’s spouse or civil partner, or related to them (or to their spouse or civil partner) as their:

  • child or grandchild under 21 years old, or dependent child or grandchild of any age
  • dependent parent or grandparent

Qualifying as an ‘extended’ family member or unmarried partner.

You can apply as an ‘extended’ family member’, for example a brother, sister, aunt, uncle, cousin, nephew or niece. You must be able to show that you’re dependent on the EEA citizen or are a member of their household, or have a serious health condition and rely on them to care for you. You can also apply as an unmarried partner if you can show that you’re in a lasting relationship with the EEA national.


You can apply as the family member of an EEA national student if you’re either the student’s:

  • spouse or civil partner
  • dependent child (or the dependent child of their spouse or civil partner)
For students, children of all ages must be dependent on the EEA citizen. You must apply as an extended family member if you’re otherwise related to an EEA national student and want a family permit.

The application process will differ depending on what country the application for an EEA family permit is submitted from and on what basis you will be submitting an application. Supporting documents may also vary depending on your personal circumstances. If the application is successful, the EEA Family Permit will be issued as a vignette in the passport of the non-EEA national and will be valid for 6 months.

Get your UK visa now!